My Life in Publishing

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

The process to get published in ebook publishing is quite fascinating. First you must write something. I write erotic romances, so they are not as long as regular novels. This is good, because I can't seem to break the 20 chapter-40k word barrier. You submit a blurb to your editor. This is the first step in the process of selling your story. I like to make a file of notes first. This includes the setting and the premise of the story. I might make an outline of some sort first as well. I send that to my editor. It's also called a synopsis. The nice thing about writing on a computer is that you don't have to start at the beginning. With Arianrhod's Bracelet, I started with the tenth chapter. Then I went to the first chapter. You can really start anywhere you will to. This is the first draft. I like to get all the way through the story before I start revising. My editor likes me to have a critique partner. We trade chapters, she reads and critiques mine, I read and critique hers. Then I submit it to my editor. If she likes it, she submits it to her higher-ups. Then the publisher sends you some forms, and a contract, which you fill out, sign and send back. I sent mine snailmail because I couldn't figure out how to sign the contract electronically.
Based on the art information form, the artist designs a cover. It usually has a hunky guy in it. This is your hero. Most of the readers of Silk's Vault's ebooks are women, so the hunky guy really sells the cover.
A lot of the weight of promotion falls on the shoulders of the individual author so I have been brainstorming with myself for ways to promote my stories and me as a writer.
My former editor, who got kicked upstairs, suggested that I build a website, so that is what I am now doing. I also joined a ton of Yahoo groups, and am wondering if I should get on Google chat and join their groups as well. Yesterday I sent some information about my stories to a teaser book so that hopefully they will get in there as well. Aside from my marriages and the birth of my daughter, this is the most pivotal event of my life, so I'm enjoying every aspect of it. I hope that I earn enough royalties to go to a convention or two to promote other stories. I have a lot more stories in me.

1 Comments:

At 7:15 PM, Blogger Cole Reising said...

Hi Rita! Congrats on getting published and diving into this internet world! :) Stacy, one of our group on Journey, has a program for helping people get a feel for promo, if you have any questions. :)

Cole

 

Post a Comment

<< Home